Home Repair Services
Providing help with home repairs and lawn maintenance to low-income seniors in the Atlanta area.
Through Home Repair Services, Meals on Wheels Atlanta (MOWA) works to provide senior clients with a safe home that is accessible and up to code, with
the goal of allowing the senior to remain in their home and be independent for a long as possible.
How We Can Help
Home Repair Services focuses primarily on minor repairs to areas occupied and utilized by the senior so that each senior has safe and usable access to
spaces such as the bathroom, kitchen, living and sleeping areas.
Typical projects include installing ADA compliant toilets, replacing faucets, replacing light fixtures and installing grab bars. Larger project are also
done for clients eligible for additional grants.
How It Works
We accept applications from eligible low income seniors who are in need of home repairs. After a home assessment our team works to provide services to
make our clients home safer.
We partner with the City of Atlanta, Fulton County, the Home Depot Foundation, and a mix of other generous people and organizations to raise funds to
help provide low income seniors with home repairs and yard maintenance. We also provide volunteer opportunities to caring volunteer groups
to assist with yard maintenance.
Who we serve
- Around 350 houses a year
- Low-income adults who are 55 or older with the average being 73 years old
- 91% of Home Repair clients are women and the majority are either single or widowed
- Annual incomes of Home Repair Services clients, mostly fixed, are very low to extremely low, averaging monthly income around $1,143
Why it Matters
Home repair is important to homeowners because it:
Home repair is important to communities because it:
- Ensures seniors are living in safe and well maintained homes
- Prevents seniors from being displaced from their homes and being forced into transitional housing or shelters
- Protects families’ financial investments
- Restores the homeowners’ dignity and pride of homeownership
Do You Qualify?
- Inspires neighborhood inhabitants to reinvest in their communities
- Revitalizes neighborhoods
- Helps keep houses compliant with city codes
- Must be 50, 55 or 62 or older depending on the program
- Home must be located within Fulton County, City of Atlanta, or be a Military Veteran residing in the 11 county metropolitan Atlanta area
- Applicant must own home and occupy it as their primary residence.
- Must have homeowner's insurance and keep the property insured against loss or damage.
- Must meet the income guidelines
- Necessary repairs must fit within the scope of service offered by MOWA.
*Additional qualifications may apply - please contact the Home Repair Team with questions
Home Repair Staff
Director of Home Repair Services